Monday, August 18, 2008

I keep feeling like I need pictures to post something, but I know that is not true.  Life gets crazy and it seems like so much goes by that I do not know what to even post.  This time in life is full of memories and things going on.....My days feel like they fly by!  I feel like I used to be so organized and now I am barely floating about water, in a good way.  How much does the laundry, dishes, and a clean house really matter?  I am learning that the most important thing right now is to shepard our children's hearts...they totally trust us and after all, God did put parents there to teach us, right?  I am always telling Isabel that I am not trying to upset you are be mean to you, but God sent me to protect and teach you.  Why is it so natural that our kids think we are against them and don't want them to have fun!  I won't forget how Isabel came home from Kindergarten one day to tell me a girl in  her class told her that she sneaks candy when her mom is napping.  I asked Isabel, "Why would she do that?"  I said, there is no need for you to do that, mommy wants you to beable to have candy sometimes.  I just know that too much will give you a belly ache or make you not hungry for the good food that helps your body grow, so I may say no if it is an inappropriate time.....BUT candy is good and I want you to beable to have it!  I think she liked my answer!  I don't want her to ever feel like she needs to sneak!  I am reading Shepherding your child's heart by Ted Tripp right now and I recommend it to all parents.  The world would be a different place if we all parented the way he suggests!

I love you Isabel, Nolan, and Silas!  I want to teach you God's grace, forgiveness, holiness, and Greatness!  Living with God in your heart and soul makes life a wild ride and amazing!

3 comments:

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

Great post! I've heard about that book from other people...sounds like I should check it out. I'm reading Revolutionary Parenting. Our church recommended it, but I can't seem to get too excited about it - it's very statistical.

I also struggle with juggling the housework with parenting. I want to spend all of my time playing with my muchkins AND I want a clean house all the time...not gonna happen. This summer I adopted the philosophy, "Work and then play makes for a fun day!" Each morning we get our "work" done (make beds, throw in a load of laundry, load the dishwasher, etc.) and then we are free to play. My 3 year old loves it and my 1 year old follow her and does whatever she does so it works out pretty well.

Jamie
www.theblissfullyhappyhousewife.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have read that book as well and we are currently going through a class at church with his DVD series. We have really learned a lot. It has definately made us more aware of ways that we parent our children. We have found that it has helped "shepherd our hearts" as well. If we are supposed to shepherd our children's hearts, our hearts need to be in the right place as well.

Great response to sneaking candy. I am going to try that technique sometime. It makes mommy not such a bad guy :)

Mom of Double A said...

Hi Kerri!
I enjoyed your post. Part of the fun of this blog stuff is for all of us to share our parenting tips and ideas.
I love that you had that conversation with Isabel. Every moment is a teaching moment, isn't it?!
Hope to see you soon--I need to see that little Silas again before he's not an infant anymore!

Jill